Rutland Water Cycling
Explore more of Rutland Water by swapping the hiking boots for the bike saddle. Our cycling routes are varied, exciting, picturesque and fun for people of all ages. With wonderful views of the water, picturesque villages and the chance to spot an osprey, cycling is a great activity for all the family.
Is there a place where I can hire a bike?
With two stores at Rutland Water, we recommend you start your cycling day at either Whitwell on the North Shore (LE15 8BL) or Normanton on the South Shore (LE15 8HD).
Whatever your age or ability, Rutland Cycling has just the bike for you. From hybrid and mountain bikes, to the latest electric bikes, tandems and kids' bikes, tag-a-longs and buggies, all the bikes are current season models and replaced every year.
Plus, we'll also rent you all the extras, including helmets, child seats and comfy saddle covers. Family cycle hire tickets are available to cover a full day or a more leisurely two-hour ride.
Cycle Hire Prices (as 2 hours, 3 hours, All day)
- Standard Hybrid & Mountain Bikes. £14.99 / £18.99 / £22.99.
- Electric Bikes. £19.99 / £24.99 / £29.99.
- Kids' Bikes. £7.99 / £8.99 / £9.99.
- Tandems. £29.99 / £34.99 / £39.99.
Visit Rutland Cycling, or call the Whitwell store on 01780 460705 or the Normanton store 01780 720 888 for more information or to book.
Cycling in Rutland...
What trails can I cycle?
This all depends on how adventurous you are feeling! We offer trails for those looking for a short adventure and those that are looking to venture even further.
Check out our three trails:
- Family trail – 8 miles.
- Start at Normanton and cycle to Whitwell enjoying fantastic views of the church and the water. The route is flat, tarmac and all off-road (can be done in reverse).
- Peninsula trail – 15 miles.
- For those feeling a little fitter! Start at Whitwell and Head to Oakham following the signs for Hambleton Peninsula. Loop the Peninsula and return. The route covers mixed terrain and has a few hills. At times the cycle track runs next to the road.
- Full Rutland Water lap – 23 miles (including the Peninsula) 17 miles (excluding Peninsula).
- Take a day and enjoy all that Rutland has on offer. You can start at either Whitwell or Normanton and follow the route all the way round! You will pass through villages, woodland and enjoy spectacular views. we highly recommend a stop to see the Rutland Ospreys at the Lyndon Visitor Centre on your way round!
You can see a map of Rutland Water here.
Please don't forget - All our tracks are shared access tracks. We ask that you Share With Care and respect other users.
Our water parks not only bring vital water resources for the region, but they also provide a fantastic day out for all the family.
Whether you're looking for an action-packed day on the water, a spot of fishing to escape the stresses and strains of everyday life, or simply want to enjoy a relaxing walk in beautiful surroundings, look no further than our fabulous water parks.